Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics
© Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics
Reducing Prescription Drug Abuse

BLOG

Improving the Country’s Best PMP System

As the only real-time system in the country can we get better? The simple answer is yes. We can improve by providing our users cleaner interfaces, better integration with health information providers, workflow improvements and enhanced program features. We are in the final few months of rolling out the new system; one that we spent years on designing and getting feedback from users while finding just the right vendor. A vendor that not only shares our vision, but one with the resources to integrate with our Health Information Exchanges (HIE) and Electronic Health Records (EMR) systems. By the end of 2016, you will be able to pull a PMP report from more than 30 states, use advanced algorithms to identify prescribing patterns of at risk patients, enter your entire patient list on one screen to run reports for the entire day, and see a summary of your patients activity even before you see the full report and much more. In fact, a lot more is coming in 2016. The staff here at Oklahoma’s Prescription Monitoring Program wants to make sure that you have all the capabilities you need to make a quick and informed decision before writing or filling a script for a controlled dangerous drug. As important, we want ensure we are providing the best in customer service by adding 24/7 support for most issues. The PMP is your clinical tool. A tool that the Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics and the Oklahoma Health Department have worked diligently to fund via Federal grant dollars to  benefit you and your patients. In addition, we are working closely with the Governor’s office, the Oklahoma Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services and the Oklahoma Healthcare Authority in finding innovative and cost effective ways to reduce the risk of using pain killers, benzodiazepines and other drugs. We make the following pledge to our users in order to fulfill our goals of leadership and innovation: To be authentic To ask questions and seek feedback To build partnerships based on trust To rise towards every challenge and challenge others to do the same To reflect on how we can improve To risk making mistakes and learn from them To be driven towards an outcome based, results driven model of leadership To “Dare to Imagine” a better Oklahoma; one where pain, addiction and  death are not synonymous with one another Join with us in improving the health and safety outcomes of Oklahomans. Use the PMP, not because its mandated, but because it can make a difference. Don Vogt PMP Administrator

The Oklahoma PMP Training Coordinator

We would like to introduce our PMP Training Coordinator, Paula Escalante. Paula provides PMP training to the various users of our system, including practitioners, pharmacists, law enforcement personnel, regulatory boards and community groups. Over the last year, she has given presentations to groups ranging from 5 to 500 people. In addition, Paula provides brochures, guides and other literature on request. Paula can be contact by email or through the PMP helpdesk. Currently, Paula is gearing up for the release of our new system. We anticipate that training will begin sometime in June 2016.

Controlled Drug Disposal Program

The Bureau of Narcotics provides controlled drug disposal boxes at law enforcement agencies in all 77 Oklahoma counties. Please do not dispose of any sharps or radioactive medications in these boxes. In addition, several major drug store chains are in the process of starting a pilot project where they will be providing disposal boxes. Please check to see if your local pharmacy is going to participate.

What is “Doctor Shopping”?

The term “Doctor Shopping” is used generically to identify a person(s) who uses fraud, deception or exclusion to get controlled drugs for illegitimate use. A patient who fails to tell their doctor they are receiving controlled medication from another provider falls into this group. “Doctor Shoppers” are often addicted to the drugs they are seeking. In some cases, the get controlled drugs for the specific purpose to profit from them or provide them to others who are also addicted. They aslo represent every aspect of our society, both cutlurally and financially. Only about 30% of drug diversion comes from doctor shopping. The other 70% are using more traditional methods, including stealing it out of their famaily’s medicine cabinent.

BLOG

Improving the Country’s Best PMP

System

As the only real-time system in the country can we get better? The simple answer is yes. We can improve by providing our users cleaner interfaces, better integration with health information providers, workflow improvements and enhanced program features. We are in the final few months of rolling out the new system; one that we spent years on designing and getting feedback from users while finding just the right vendor. A vendor that not only shares our vision, but one with the resources to integrate with our Health Information Exchanges (HIE) and Electronic Health Records (EMR) systems. By the end of 2016, you will be able to pull a PMP report from more than 30 states, use advanced algorithms to identify prescribing patterns of at risk patients, enter your entire patient list on one screen to run reports for the entire day, and see a summary of your patients activity even before you see the full report and much more. In fact, a lot more is coming in 2016. The staff here at Oklahoma’s Prescription Monitoring Program wants to make sure that you have all the capabilities you need to make a quick and informed decision before writing or filling a script for a controlled dangerous drug. As important, we want ensure we are providing the best in customer service by adding 24/7 support for most issues. The PMP is your clinical tool. A tool that the Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics and the Oklahoma Health Department have worked diligently to fund via Federal grant dollars to  benefit you and your patients. In addition, we are working closely with the Governor’s office, the Oklahoma Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services and the Oklahoma Healthcare Authority in finding innovative and cost effective ways to reduce the risk of using pain killers, benzodiazepines and other drugs. We make the following pledge to our users in order to fulfill our goals of leadership and innovation: To be authentic To ask questions and seek feedback To build partnerships based on trust To rise towards every challenge and challenge others to do the same To reflect on how we can improve To risk making mistakes and learn from them To be driven towards an outcome based, results driven model of leadership To “Dare to Imagine” a better Oklahoma; one where pain, addiction and  death are not synonymous with one another Join with us in improving the health and safety outcomes of Oklahomans. Use the PMP, not because its mandated, but because it can make a difference. Don Vogt PMP Administrator
OBNDDC
© Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics PMP System
Reducing Prescription Drug Abuse

The Oklahoma PMP Training

Coordinator

We would like to introduce our PMP Training Coordinator, Paula Escalante. Paula provides PMP training to the various users of our system, including practitioners, pharmacists, law enforcement personnel, regulatory boards and community groups. Over the last year, she has given presentations to groups ranging from 5 to 500 people. In addition, Paula provides brochures, guides and other literature on request. Paula can be contact by email or through the PMP helpdesk. Currently, Paula is gearing up for the release of our new system. We anticipate that training will begin sometime in June 2016.

Controlled Drug Disposal Program

The Bureau of Narcotics provides controlled drug disposal boxes at law enforcement agencies in all 77 Oklahoma counties. Please do not dispose of any sharps or radioactive medications in these boxes. In addition, several major drug store chains are in the process of starting a pilot project where they will be providing disposal boxes. Please check to see if your local pharmacy is going to participate.

What is “Doctor Shopping”?

The term “Doctor Shopping” is used generically to identify a person(s) who uses fraud, deception or exclusion to get controlled drugs for illegitimate use. A patient who fails to tell their doctor they are receiving controlled medication from another provider falls into this group. “Doctor Shoppers” are often addicted to the drugs they are seeking. In some cases, the get controlled drugs for the specific purpose to profit from them or provide them to others who are also addicted. They aslo represent every aspect of our society, both cutlurally and financially. Only about 30% of drug diversion comes from doctor shopping. The other 70% are using more traditional methods, including stealing it out of their famaily’s medicine cabinent.